If you’ve attended any business seminar or read a productivity book (heck, ANY personal development book for that matter), there is always one common activity throughout all of them.
“Create a To-Do List”
And yes, I agree that having a “To Do” list is vital to your business. I make one every day and there’s nothing better than crossing the items off when they are complete.
But – there is also something just as important and get’s much less attention than the popular To-Do…
YOUR “TO DON’T” LIST
These are the things you should NOT be doing. That’s right – the things to AVOID doing.
They are the things that waste your time. They suck your energy dry. They kill your business. They make you really cranky. And they get you further AWAY from your goals.
I’m not sure why more “gurus” don’t talk about this stuff. But you really gotta have your list.
And your “To Don’t” list will depend on your business, your role in the business and your goals.
Here are a few of my “To Don’t” favorites… feel free to add them to your business (or just ignore them at your own peril)…
- Refunds: Do NOT waste excessive time trying to save customers from refunding. Yes, make a first attempt, but it’s much better for them (and for you) to simply give them a full refund and thank them for trying your products/services. Believe me, I learned this the hard way.
- Phone Calls: Do NOT answer your phone when you are “in the zone”. Chunk your calls at a designated time (I make calls when I’m on the treadmill or in the car). **IMPORTANT: Of course, I always answer the phone when my wife calls… because I am terrified of her!
- Pitch Meetings: Do NOT take “pitch” meetings with people you do not know. Especially if they won’t tell you their “idea” first via email. A red flag is when they say “I’ll tell you about it when we meet in person”… Ummm… No.
- Pick Your Brains: Do NOT meet with someone who uses the phrase “Can I pick your brains?”. I’ve talked about this one on the blog before. You have been warned.
- Techie Stuff: Do NOT spend 3 months trying to figure out how to program your site. Hire a professional to do it for you.
- Personal Development: Do NOT read personal development books, articles, blogs, etc… BEFORE you get your “Profit-Producing” activities done first! I love personal development, but WORK always gets done first… personal development is during my breaks, driving and at night.
- Endurance Runner: Do NOT plan on working all-night. Work in short spurts and give yourself plenty of breaks throughout the day. Workout. Get a massage. See a movie. Take a hike. Do something to give yourself a mental break.
- Common Sense Money Savings: Do NOT stand in line for an hour at Wal-Mart to save $.18 cents on a notebook when you can be in and out of a local stationary store in 1 minute. Your hour is worth much more than $.18 cents!
- Abusive Customers: Do NOT work with abusive people. Contrary to popular belief, the customer is not always right. If a customer curses or is verbally abusive to my staff, they are immediately refunded, taken off our list and no longer allowed to purchase from us. Yes, it’s harsh but I draw a line in the sand on that one. It’s about mutual respect.
There you go.
Some of my favorite things to NOT do if you want a kick-ass business (and life)!
ADD YOUR FAVORITE “TO DON’T” BELOW!
P.S. If this resonates with you, please “like” “tweet” and “+1” it.
P.P.S. Here’s one thing you should DO. See this page and register today